Recently, I was asked whether working for oneself or part time is a good idea. The individual was particularly concerned with benefits. I have worked as a contractor and/or part time employee for over 15 years. When I first started working as a contractor, my daughter was under 5 years old and I was a single mom. Having insurance was very important to me. I was able, through my auto insurance representative, able to buy a Blue Cross medical plan. I recall only paying $250 per month for the both of us. I had heard people make it seem as though purchasing insurance would be very expensive. I was very relieved to be paying only $250.
This leads to my title "No Guarantees in Our Current Economic Conditions". In today's business world there are no guarantees with full time employment. Over the 15+ years that I have been working for myself, I have found I get paid substantially more to work part time or on contract. The amount I make more than covers the cost of insuring myself.
Working for myself has been richly rewarding. Outsourcing is becoming more and more common-place in the business world. Employers and contractors are seeing the benefits in this type of working relationship. Consider it a win/win. Working for yourself gives you the opportunity to carve out your own niche, thereby circumventing "our current economic conditions!"
Friday, April 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Nicole,
ReplyDeleteI like what you had to say in this blog, great job! You said that you are still working for yourself. May I ask what it is that you do? How did you get started in what you do?
As for this blog, I have a suggestion.
If you are going to use black or a really dark background, I would suggest pairing it with some other color to define the borders. Place your title with some color in the background.Green was nice for the title sentence.For some people, it is hard reading on dark backgrounds.
As I am reading this, it sort of feels like I am floating in the black oblivion.. I hope this makes sense?
Maybe add a bit about you as well..
Jean :-)
Nice Blog Nicole,
ReplyDeleteVery encouraging for those considering self-employment. I think you are quite right that more and more businesses are looking at "virtual workers" - the benefits are too good to overlook.
:)
Thank you for the comments. I write grants and do contract training.
ReplyDeleteI agree too that many businesses are realizing the win-win of hiring Virtual workers. The benefits are really too good to pass up for the employer and the worker.
ReplyDeleteKudos to you, Nicole, for working for yourself!! You personify the saying that "if you can do it, so can I". Incredibly encouraging post!
ReplyDelete